Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day Twenty-Six. Puppy chow. Despicable Me. "Soul food." EXAMS.



We've been cooking up a storm lately at our house. Well, kind of. Yesterday we went to Wild Chef to get some delicious Hibachi (the kind that they cook in front of you). We had to catch rice in our mouths. (: I've only been to a restaurant like that a few times, and it's a lot of fun. You sit by people you don't know. It reminds me of dinners at cruises. I know that's random.


Then last night, we made puppy chow and watched Despicable Me. I didn't really watch, because I was grading English exams. It looked cute though. (: This was the end result of our kitchen after the puppy chow... haha. Note to self: don't use that burner any time soon.



Right now, I am making a Breaded Eggplant bake and watching Tabitha's Salon Takeover. (: The meal is super easy to make.

1. Cut the eggplant and dehydrate it. To dehydrate: cover each side of the slices with salt, put them in a strainer, and let it sit for about 30 minutes. This draws the excess water out and takes the bitter taste out of the eggplant.
2. Cover each slice in flour, then egg yolk, then bread crumbs.
3. Fry the slices in a pan with about 1-2 inches of oil.
4. Cover the bottom of a pan with desired sauce. I'm using a three cheese tomato-based sauce (I added artichokes). If you want, cook some noodles to go along with it.
5. Cook for about 40 minutes at 375.

We'll see how it turns out. I really need the iPhone 4, because these pictures lately are awful, and I'm too lazy to go get my DSLR camera from upstairs. Ha.

 ---------------
Writing Challenge Day 26
I'm doing a 31 day writing challenge, found on the Reverb website, designed to reflect on the past year and look forward to what's to come in 2011.


Soul Food. What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth & touched your soul? 

 This is a weird question, because I love cooking, but I don't know if I've ever felt like a food has "touched my soul." I'm going to go with memorable foods for the past couple years.

-"poutine" in Jasper, Canada

-Mac and cheese out of a travel mug in the Tetons. That was by far the best meal we had on that entire backpacking trip.

-Farmer's market cider and berry smoothies in Chicago

-Kiwi-strawberry Shave Ice in Hawaii -- post-surfing. That made it even better.

-Olga's pizza snackers... while sitting by the lake and painting. Typical summer activity.

-Bear Paw Bakery breakfast in Canada. Oprah Winfrey goes there. (:

-Tortilla, peanut butter, and honey. Another backpacking staple.

-Adult Grilled Cheese from Marie Catrib's

-Green tea frozen yogurt in San Diego (with raspberries)

-Tortilla espanola in Bilbao, Spain

-Hazelnut coffee from Wolfgang's

-Strawberry sundaes at the "Strawberry Festival" in Plant City, FL

-Goat cheese from Electric Cheetah

-Dessert (Crema catalana) and tapa/pintxo hopping in Barcelona, Spain. I think I ate an oyster or something. Ha.

-Huckleberry ice cream in Yellowstone National Park while watching Old Faithful


I've noticed that I link food to location or people. I couldn't just tell you the food. I had to tell you the restaurant, the place I was when I ate it, or what I was doing. Certain foods remind me of certain memories. For example, if there's a food I ate on a first date with someone... usually if I eat that agan, I think of that person. Not on purpose, but I just associate certain meals with people or places. All of those foods I listed remind me of a specific person that I ate those foods with. Is that weird? Maybe. (:

1 comment:

  1. Notice that not a single food you listed was made by your mother.......;)

    ReplyDelete