Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day Six: DIY headbands. Finding time to make things. Why I love Jimmy John's.

I'm pretty sure Holland is turning me dutch. Yesterday for dinner, I went to Jimmy John's... you know how you can get the bigger size sub for like $1 more? Well, I did that. Then I came home and took half of the sub out, and put it on a tortilla for my lunch today. Someone at work asked me why I didn't just cut the sub in half. I don't really know. That's a great idea. Haha. Anyway, I always get either the #6 or #13, which is essentially the same sub. I never used to like Jimmy John's, but I love it now... for two main reasons. Sprouts and avocados. And I guess the bread is okay, too.

Last night, I spent a good majority of my evening making headbands out of a vintage lace dress I bought. I loved it. I even brought my sewing machine in from my trunk, but I haven't used it yet.
I'm going to do a quick DIY post today on the two different headbands I made. Both of them can be modified easily to use different fabric, colors, and designs.

Headband #1: Lace and Pearl.
You see that lace collar that's around the neckline of this dress (shaped like a V)? I started by cutting that off the dress.


I cut the thicker lace part from the collar and wrapped it around a headband (purchased at Ulta), securing it with hot glue. Burned my fingers a few times.
It took a while to get all the bumps smoothed, but this is what it looked like afterward. I was originally planning to attach a lace flower with a cameo to this headband, but I did not like the way it turned out... the lace was too thick.
Next, I made a string of pearls on wire and secured the ends with crimp beads and crimp tool.
At first, I glued the beads to the top of the headband to try to cover up some of the lace, but they stuck up way too much when I had it on my head. I took them off, and glued them more along one of the sides.

Finished product.

Headband #2: Applique and Felt. 
For this next headband, I cut out two circles from a piece of light beige felt (usually $0.50 or $1.00 at any crafting store).
I cut an applique off the lace vintage dress collar I used for the last headband. I glued and handsewed the applique to the felt  circle.

Next, I glued the felt piece to the headband, then glued the second circle to the back of the headband to secure it in place.
And done.
Pretty easy!
 ____________________
Writing Challenge Day 6
I'm doing a 31 day writing challenge, found on the Reverb website, designed to reflect on the past year and look forward to what's to come in 2011.



Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

Well, what good timing. I have been wanting to spend some time creating things for a while, and my antique store spree yesterday inspired me. Obviously, the beginning of my post answers the first two questions.

There are a number of things I WANT to make, it's just a matter of finding the time to do it. I wish I used my sewing machine more. Last year, my roommate and I would get our machines out occasionally and spend the evening making purses and clothes and headbands... I miss that.
I want to make a big painting. I always buy relatively small canvases, but I want to make one that's maybe 48 x 36". Maybe bigger. I want an ongoing project that I work on for weeks. Usually when I paint, I'll finish a piece within a couple days.
I want to make a sketchbook.
I want to keep a journal.
I want to make my own stationary and send letters to friends in faraway places.
I want to make more feather headbands.
I want to make another pair of moccasins.
I want to make a new, exciting recipe.
I want to make a recipe book.
I want to make prints of photos I've taken and actually do something with them.

I want to make a big map and mark the places I've been, and the places I want to go.

...I could go on.






2 comments:

  1. mmmm Jimmy Johns. I always order mine as an un-wich (lettuce wrap). The bread is a little tough and makes my TMJ flare up.

    Love the headbands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work at Quiznos. I think if we could take Quiznos sauces, Jimmy Johns sprouts and aguacate and Subway bread we'd have a winner. Jimmy Quizway?

    Wait, another pair of moccasins? Meaning you know how to make moccasins. Teach me.

    The worst part about being creative is that it's not "practical." You have to find time to do it between job and people and all that stuff. I'm going to reopen some epic projects I started about 3 years ago. They will take months and thank you so much for suggesting this blog idea because it's fantastic and super inspiring. Let's start a community.

    ReplyDelete