Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day Nine: Parties. Fashion blogs. Avocados and pomegranates.


So tomorrow will be a good art day... involving painting, cooking, and ballet. I'll post some photos on my blog tomorrow. I'm already excited! In other news, I need to use an pomegranate and an avocado today. Probably for dinner, since I'm going to lunch with a friend. (:

I think I shall stick with the "clothing" theme today. Lately, I've been inspired (mostly thanks to Kayley from Sidewalk Ready - see link to her blog below) to look through fashion blogs and save photos of outfits that I like. You should try it. You obviously don't have to copy the entire outfit exactly, but you can use them as jumping points if you're ever stuck in a rut with what to wear. I know I have days where I put on 7 different outfits and none of them feel like me. Here is a quick survival guide in case you feel uninspired.

5 blogs to check out:
    1.)  Sidewalk Ready - Everyday Fashion
Kayley does a great job of including video tutorials in her posts, hair tips, cute outfits, and style ideas. I'm addicted to her blog.
    2.) Blonde Bedhead
Cute outfits. Crazy shoes. Interesting writing.
    3.) The Daybook
I love her posts about her relationship with her husband. They're super cute. 
    4.) New Dress a Day
She buys dresses from thrift stores and revamps them. It's amazing.
    5.) Lookbook
A staple. Looks from around the world.


4 pieces I love right now:
  
1.) This jacket from Anthropologie. I love a lot of their jackets, but I especially love asymmetry.
  
2.) This dress from Mod Cloth. It's so simple, and you can do a lot of mixing and matching with tights, cardigans, colors, etc.

This cardigan from Francesca's. I love the color and the length. I'm not so sure about the belt.
  
This shirt from J Crew. I have a similar one that I got from Old Navy this year. It's cute with black skinny jeans and accessories.
  


3 stores to visit:
    1.) Francesca's Collection 
    2.) Zara
    3.) Boden

2 shows to watch:
    1.) What Not to Wear (TLC)
    2.) How Do I Look?

1 challenge for you:
    1.) Make a folder on your desktop. Start saving pictures of outfits you love. Model one of your own outfits after one. Let me know how it goes. (: It will really inspire you to wear outfits you never thought you would. For example, Thursday night I spent a good 30 minutes looking at blogs. This is what I wore teaching the next day: Olive green skinny cords, tall black "riding" boots, a black and white patterned shirt, a black blazer, a couple long strings of pearls, a mustard yellow belt.
It might sound really crazy to you, but I think it pulled together alright. I felt like an equestrian all day.

---------------
Writing Challenge Day 9
I'm doing a 31 day writing challenge, found on the Reverb website, designed to reflect on the past year and look forward to what's to come in 2011.

December 9 – Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans 

This won't be a long post. Bottom 40 is usually the social gathering that is the most memorable. Check out the Facebook page if you want to learn more about it. There are always so many lovely friends there, good music (think Phoenix, Passion Pit, etc.), and a photographer or two.
The most recent Bottom 40 was New Years Eve: The Last Prom on Earth. There was a corsage bar. It was lovely. I think the reason why I love Bottom 40 so much is because there is usually a theme: 80's, Red Out, formal, etc. I like having something to shop for. Like I need an excuse. (:
The second social gathering would have to be Wednesday night dinners. I love planning the menus together, cooking, chatting, venting, and relaxing with some lovely ladies. It helps us get through the week of teaching (:

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I think your equestrian outfit sounds fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Sidewalk Ready and Boden. I should SO be grading but these sites are way more fun:). Thanks for the tips and keep the great posts coming!:) Oh, and we really need to go thrifting together sometime.

    ReplyDelete